In order to get the optimum usage from your ironmongery features, both in terms of ongoing aesthetics and functionality, it is essential to ensure that the right care methods and overall maintenance are observed.
Ensuring that the correct cleaning methods are observed is especially pertinent when it comes to ironmongery. This is because incorrect cleaning methods account for the single most popular cause of ruining these features. It is incredibly important, however, to ensure that regular cleaning is conducted on the finish of these features.
Due to its nature, ironmongery is especially susceptible to chemically active dust and moisture which is slightly acidic, often these are present within an interior naturally. Therefore, in order to ensure the longevity of your ironmongery it is best to conduct regular cleaning, opposed to sporadic and intensive treatments.
In order to help you ensure that you are using the correct cleaning product and method for your specific ironmongery feature, in terms of the finish and the specific metal used for construction, we have provided a guide for each of the main metal types.
- Anodised Aluminium Finishes: Should be regularly dusted and washed periodically. When washing anodised aluminium finishes, use weak detergent solutions and occasionally wipe the feature with wax polish.
- Stainless Steel Finishes: Should be regularly dusted and occasionally washed using soap and water.
- Nylon Products: Since the surface of these products do not attract dust, they do not require dusting. Cleaning should be conducted regularly, using a damp cloth to wipe the surface.
- Powder Coated Finishes: These finishes include epoxy, polyester or polyurethane, and should be cleaned using a damp cloth and polished regularly. Any household polish is suitable for use on products with this finish. Beware! Industrial solvents should never be used on products with this finish.
- Lacquered Finishes: This finish type can often be observed on polished brass products. In order to yield the best results, ironmongery with this finish should be cleaned occasionally, using a high quality, wax free polish. When cleaning ironmongery with a lacquered finish, avoid using abrasive products and metal polishes.
The above guidelines will enable you to establish an effective maintenance programme for your ironmongery products.
For further information, or for a more detailed insight into the specific cleaning products that should be used, a member of our dedicated customer service team can be contacted by calling: 0161 480 8722.